Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Myopic eyes (Microupdate 1)

Myopia, or nearsightedness also known as short sightedness, is a refractive defect of the eye in which collimated light produces image focus in front of the retina when accommodation is relaxed. Those with myopia typically can see nearby objects clearly but distant objects appear blurred.

Savvy ? I have had myopia since the age of 9 and have been wearing corrective lenses (eye glasses). As it stands, my degree of myopia is -6.5 (when you get to -16 or lower values, you are closer to stone blind without corrective lenses). Because I depend so much on my glasses to lead a normal life, I generally take good care of them. It so happened that out of sheer bad luck, they slipped off my nose and one of the lenses shattered into innumerable pieces. And there I was, gaping with no glasses and no spare set lying around. I could see things only half as clear as your average Joe.

I rushed to the nearest optician to get my glasses fixed and he promised to get back to me in 2 days since the day after was a national holiday. The immediate implication of this being no computers or TV or reading or travel for the next 2 days. It was hell on earth, believe me guys. I was able to put up with these 2 days largely due to my iPod (thanks to a friend who gifted it) and another patient friend who gave me company. I did attempt to watch TV with little success. I tried squinting my eyes and using my laptop, with slightly improved success but I couldn't hold myself too long.

I even had to take a day off from work and I was promising myself that I would have at least one spare set of glasses made so that such exigencies are appropriately handled. I finally got my glasses repaired today (oh ! what a relief) and decided to blog about it. I am considering corrective surgery sometime in the near future so that I don't have to worry about the EVIL effects of myopia for times to come.

P.S. I call this Microupdate 1 because this is the first of my posts which doesn't resemble a post (duh !), doesn't have a fully developed theme, more like a "quick write and publish" variety. I hope to be posting more such micro updates as and when something bloggable (?!) happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment